I have never used a flow chart for training a dog; but know intimately what a flow chart is and use them daily in my occupation for employee training and technology project execution. I am sure that the book you recommend is indeed effective; depending on the goal of the dog owner.
The O.P. stated he wanted "a dog but I thought it would be nice if we had one that could be trained to retrieve some doves and possibly do some duck hunting with." and " some good books on training a retriever and just general obedience training for someone who is clueless" . IMHO;Training a dog for Hunt Tests would be taking it to another level; if he is interested and willing to make that commitment. I have gone to observe these and the top dogs are amazing.
I am pursuing a similar path to the O.P.myself having just acquired a Field Bred English Cocker. My goal is a few dove shoots, a few small water duck pond hunts and have an enjoyable and obedient companion. I will certainly take a look at your book recommendation to see if it can be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited by Cruiser1; 02/10/15.