Couldn't find a full length pic of my old/retired 375HH bear rifle I build off a Mauser, But this is the end of the barrel after I further shortened the barrel from around 22-inches down to around 20-inches, and had the gun hard coated. Never was quite satisfied with overall balance, and never quite pinned down a particular barrel length. I think I ran that gun at three different barrel lengths over about a decade or so.

[Linked Image]

Built a couple of these modeled after Phil Shoemaker's 416 light rifle to replace my old 375. The last one ended up very light with perfect balance having a 22-inch barrel. Really like the last one at 22, but it had a ton of work and light weight parts, so I was able to move some weight around with the final bedding of the stock to place the balance point exactly where I wanted it to be, while still reaching my overall weight goal.

[Linked Image]

All of my 416s were replaced with a non-magnum factory Sako, which has a barrel closer to 20-inch, but it is even lighter and more handy. The balance and feel of the rifle is near custom like to my dimensions and preference, but it is box stock.

[Linked Image]

In the end, the overall balance and handling of my rifle is of greater importance to me than any specific barrel length. Running barrels anywhere in the 20 to 22-inch range works well for me, as long as the rifle is well balanced and handy. I find this a good middle ground. Much shorter and it becomes too quirky, much longer and it becomes sluggish.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood