I have a S&W 1911 Series 'E' Scandium bob tail Commander, black w/nite sites. It is my everyday carry.

I also have its full size 5" brother, a Series 'E' in SS.

I've had a full size Colt Series 80, SA 'Loaded', and a Para 3" "Slim Dawg". I've also had a trial with a 3" Colt Defender in an effort to find out why both 3" guns were jam-O-matics.

After the joke the Colt was, and the horrible finish work of the SA, I went over both the S&W guns with a magnifying glass and found NO finish failures. Every thing was smooth, square and even.

When S&W setup to make them in Holton ME, the bought all new equipment and brought all their senior machine people from across the country to set things up.

The trigger is patented. Look at the undercut behind the trigger guard. Look at the top of the slide. The sites are 'Novak' cuts. The mag well is cut back on all FOUR sides. The ejection port is further relieved. The muzzle is crowned and protected by the bushing. It doesn't require tools to take down. The frame holes for the take down pin are relieved on both sides. The machined grids in the fore and back grips have had their points taken off so they don't rip your skin off.

I think the changes on the Series E represent really useful progress of a 1911 and not just fluff to jack up the price.

Last edited by Spike12; 02/11/15.