Been reading through the reference section and had a question came to the surface. Consider a published load being tested.
The barrel of my gun remains the same (tightness, tolerances, wear etc.), throughout the load testing.
The bullet is the same as the published load (weight, point style, resistance).
The case is the same as the published load (mfgr., approx. weight etc).
Powder charge is the same as published load (same powder, same charge weight etc).
Primer is the same as the published load (mfgr.)
The COAL is the same as the published load.
Excluding manufacturing tolerances, etc, I am going to consider these items to be constants for my testing.
Now my question. I ‘m loading a 3006 cartridge with a 165 grain Sierra SPBT with 59.0 grains of H4350 powder, 3.300” COAL and a CCI200 primer and the book says I should be getting 2938 f/s velocity at 49,400 CUP (2011 Hodgdon annual). If this load in my gun gives me 2700 f/s velocity can I increase the powder charge and use the velocity as a general indicator of pressure until I am approaching the published velocity (observing pressure signs). Simply stated my question is if everything else is a constant, and a published load is used, it seems safe to say that the powder charge can be increased and still remain within indicated pressure.
I did this with an 8mm Mauser 98, using a published load it yielded about 150 -200 f/s less velocity than listed. I began slowly increasing powder charge until I got about 100 f/s closer to listed velocity. I am not getting any pressure signs and brass has lasted 7 loadings so far. If the above is correct, I am above the listed charge weight yet within the pressure constraints.
Before you begin thinking why am I asking this question now, I want to say I am only a sample of one and would like to hear what the experts say. I remember John B. touched on this subject in a past issue of Reloader.
Thank you in advance for any comments,
tj