rockinbar;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this still and thus far sunny last Saturday in February finds you well.

Thanks for the details on birds in your area and how the cold affects them - and the coyotes too.

I found it interesting that your coyotes would come in to a call when they were already finding good food sources. We had some type of Pasteurella virus hit our wild sheep - I think I'm calling it the right thing here, but might not be - they got it from interaction with domestic sheep and before it was done about 2/3 of our California's were dead up and down the east side of our valley.

Anyway, that winter was also a heavy snow one which forces a lot if not most of the deer and sheep into pretty confined areas so the predation gets easier for the coyotes, cougars and bobcats.

We repeatedly failed to get a coyote to do anything other than bark or howl back at us that winter and I always supposed that it was because they had full bellies from dead sheep and so weren't interested in seeing who'd killed a rabbit one ridge over.

As with most things though sir, that's just a guess on my part and like as not - a poor one at that. wink

It's good to "talk" to you anyway sir and all the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"