I don't own a Jetboil but a couple of friends do and I have watched them use their stoves and operated them myself, out of curiosity. I own an MSR Pocket Rocket and an Optimus Crux and several other camp stoves. I usually carry one 8 ounce canister of Isobutane fuel for a 4-day/3-night trip. My friends seem to carry the same size canister. I usually use a one-quart Ti or Al pot. I store the stove and the fuel canister inside the pot, for transport.

Here's my take on the situation and I seek your input.

Advantages of Jetboil vs Pocket Rocket.
1. Fast boil time
2. Efficient use of fuel
3. Since less fuel is used, you can reduce the amount of fuel that you carry and thus reduce overall weight.

Disadvantages of Jetboil vs Pocket Rocket
1. Jetboil rig weighs a little more than a Pocket Rocket and a one-quart Ti pot.
2. Jetboil not very good at simmering a casserole or frying fish
3. Only 2 cups of water boiled at a time

Here are my questions
1. Do you actually carry less fuel? Can you get away with carrying the smaller 4 ounce canister for a 4-day/3-night trip?
2. Does the improved efficiency actually offset the additional weight of the Jetboil rig?
3. Is the quicker boil time fast enough that you have boiled another 2 cups as soon as you need more water?
4. Does the Jetboil rig take up more room in your backpack than a Pocket Rocket + 8 ounce canister stored inside a one-quart pot? Or about the same? Or less?
5. I suppose that as trip length increases, so does the benefit of improved efficiency resulting in less fuel used and therefore a reduction in weight. Is this true?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.