admin100,

I shoot these SSTs several calibers. In .257 I have 250 Savage, .257 Roberts and .25-06 Remington. My lone .264 is a 6.5 X 55 Swede. I have had great results and IIRC my longest tracking job to date was more like looking around for the body. I have seen several threads on the SST and I can't know which 257 you have but I am wondering if my results may be atypical as I am not using these bullets in magnum calibers at high velocity. However, that said I know Hornady says they perform up to 3300 fps and are designed for "rapid expansion and maximum energy transfer". That would seem to indicate that the manufacturer anticipates some massive tissue damage which would create meat loss to be sure. I guess it come down to DRT vs meat loss and just what the bullet contacts upon entry or exit. As to WHY the 257 is a flat base and the 264 a BT I have no clue as the Horndy catalog says all SSTs are BTs.. the 6mm is also a flat base. Go figure???????? The discussion of exit wounds vs no exit has been going on since bullets were invented I think. I need the biggest target possible so I try to lung shoot edible game. After a few feet, their nose works as the exit hole if a blood trail is required and then it's a short one. It's almost getting to a "what's available" not "what do I want" as far as any reloading components are concerned. The passion for high BC and the tipped bullets are driving the fact that many good bullets are "temporarily unavailable". Sometimes I have to use what I can buy too.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**