This would be a first for me, so I suppose I am looking for a little guidance in terms of desired barrel length for a walkabout gun from those who have been down this road.

Firearm at the top of the list for circumcision may be a CZ 17 rem that has been re-chambered to 17 Fireball.

Loads I expect to be using in this combo are a 30-grain Berger and or a 25 grain Hornady 1710 HP @ 3600ish FPS & 3800ish fps respectivly in a 24 inch barrel. Now if this barrle were to be reduced to 18inches I suppose I may be looking at 3500ish & 3700ish velocity as I am expecting a loss of roughly 120 fps due to the loss of barrel length.

Am I on the right track here? Should I have her cut down to 16 1/2" or would 18 inches be sufficient? The silencer that has my eye is the Mac brothers 2.0 or 3.0 in the 308 version for max versatility. And if I understand things correctly the 308 version has 2 additional baffles for greater sound reduction over the 223 version. This silencer comes in at around 9 1/4" length and approximately 20 ozs.

Other calibers I may wish to have threaded for the silencer in the future include though may not be limited to may be the 17 Hornet, 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 22-250, 6mm Remington, 6.5 Grendel, 270 winchester, 7mm Remington Mag & 30-06.

Ok proceed to school me, confuse me or open my eyes to aspects that I Have not considered. Thanks for all input based on real life experience in the field ahead of time.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19