Originally Posted by rost495
I should add WHY the gun limits my distance. Its 2moa or less and sometimes scares 1 moa. But take the worst, 2 inches, at 400 yards, is 8 inches. Add a field wobble from a rest into that and you can likely double that. 16 inches, thats a large group. IMHO.

I agree Jeff and I look at predicted impacts based on radius of the group from a mechanical standpoint. With no external conditions (shooting in a tunnel) at 400 yards our 1moa rifle will be within roughly 2" from point of aim, our 2moa rifle will be within 4" from POA. Add in 8" of wobble and the real difference is an impact between 10" and 12" from the intended point of impact despite the first rifle being "twice as accurate".

Now take a simple 5mph wind, whether someone guessed it at 10mph and its really 15 or any read was missed because it was calm at the shooting position. At 400 yards with my .270 load a 5mph wind is already a .4 mil correction (5.7" of drift). I understand wind is a horizontal dispersion issue but a 2-3mph error negates the accuracy difference between a 1 and 2moa gun.

I remember spending way to much time on a bench trying to get a rifle from X group size down to Z group size and in reality I was wasting far to much time over an issue that really did not matter. My load work ups are much simpler now and I spend my time in other aspects of being a better field shot.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper