Good morning all!
I have a 30-30 that I had to buy a replacement used bolt for. This was due to the lock box I had the original stored in being stolen when my home was burglarized during my last deployment to Iraq. I purchased a replacement on gunbroker and it seems to work well. Brass chambers, fires, and ejects as it should. fired brass looks good too and I seem to get the same case life as I had before. So far, sounds good right? Well, I found a good deal on a set of go- no/go gauges, a PTG extension T-handle and an unused PTG finish reamer in 30-30 Ackley Improved. Now I could check the headspace since I had not done so when I replaced the bolt. I also thought I would put the reamer to use and make "my ol' friend" into a Ackley. I already have 30-06 AI and 35 Whelen AI rifles an love them! Since I was having good results with my new to me bolt, I had thought the headspace was close if not perfect. Was I wrong...to my surprise, the action closed easily on the no-go gauge indicating excessive headspace. It was hard to believe since the rifle shot so well and brass life is good. Here is my question:

I realise this cartridge headspaces on the rim. Will reaming the chamber to Ackley Improved do anything to solve the excessive headspace problem (without setting the barrel back)?? Does anyone who has actual experience with chambering the marlin 336 to 30-30AI want to chime in? Thanks! Zeus