A lot of good points here....

I'm a huge fan of the below/behind the ear shot and will take that shot anytime I can get it done that way. I also know that a big boars hide will eat small bullets ocassionaly. In the event two holes aren't punched will leave absolutely NO blood trail at times, even when vitals are smoked. A big, gobby fat sow will do the same at times by filling entry and exit holes with enough fat to keep a blood trail to minimal/nonexsistent till said fat is jarred loose or knocked away by trees, brush, etc. All in all.... They ain't hard to kill. If your 100% against head shots, go with a good, hard bullet in any caliber. Another thing I've learned is if taking behind shoulder shots..... Try to stay in the lower 1/3 as the shields are thinner in that area and the leakage significant....

If you are into just plugging them as someone said..... I've seen more hogs die than any other way combined through an EOTech or over a gunners shoulder with a simple PMC 55FMJ to the front 1/3..... Long before it was cool and blasted all over YouTube....