The one time I fished a mouse pattern at night was years ago in the pool in which Joe Humphries had caught the (then) Pennsylvania state record Brown a couple years previously. I worked out the line lengths and casting directions in daylight, and went back that night and stood in the same spot at the head of the pool. It was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face (which put a whole new meaning to the word "fear" when wading waist deep out to that flat rock)- no lights, I didn't want to risk spooking a fish. I started gradually quartering the mouse across and down- and how I managed to avoid snagging a tree limb I'll never know. About five minutes into it something big hit that mouse and went screaming downstream with it. I kept as much pressure on the tippet as I dared by palming the Hardy fly reel as it literally screamed its way quickly into the backing. Then "bink" it was done. (I didn't dare try to follow the fish on foot like I would've were it daylight. And there weren't any carp or catfish in there either in case you're wondering.) By far the most exciting moment of night fishing for trout in my life- and I never got close to landing that fish. One can only imagine how big it was- it felt like a runaway train.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/10/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty