I recently bought a 2015 F350 SRW for towing a couple horses around when needed. It will also do some around-town driving when my wife needs to go somewhere and the eldest daughter has already taken the van. The truck will do no off-road driving, except for the occasional gravel road.

The truck came with 17" wheels. I might wait until the factory tires wear out and then make a decision about wheels/tires, but I'm also considering getting some aftermarket wheels now. Naturally, new tires would accompany new rims.

I don't know anything about the "best" wheel size or tire size. I've done some searches here regarding tires. Most threads discuss primarily brands/models of tires. I'd like to know the math behind choosing the best wheel size and the best tire for a given wheel.

I understand that shorter sidewalls handle better but give a bumpier ride, and that taller sidewalls give a better ride but won't handle as well. But, how much of a difference does it make? How much does towing factor into the decision? Are there any proven mathematical formulas for determining the best wheel/tire combo for a desired use?

For a truck, is there an ideal wheel size and an ideal tire size to put on the ideal wheel?? Is there anything functionally wrong with 17" wheels, or is it simply that they don't fill up the wheel well nice and appear too small? How about width? I'm not hoping to get tires so wide I have to add fenders to the truck to cover them, but I'll do what is necessary.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.