Trying to venture into bowhunting after I leave Afghanistan early this summer and retire. Will finally have the time to dedicate to learning the proper techniques and application of them during hunting seasons.

My problem (or perceived problem) is being in my early 50's, I learned how to shoot weapons at a very early age of five left handed due to being left eye dominant, going through 24yr in the Marine Corps shooting left handed and countless hunting seasons, so shooting is ingrained in my head as a left handed task. However I played/play all my sports that require physical exertion (as pulling a bow would) right handed... everything; all throwing sports, football, baseball, basketball, golf, even non-sports like bowling, darts, etc. I shoot, write and eat left handed everything else is right handed. I may be making more of this than it is, but welcome the expert thoughts and opinions of the Fire.

So my dilemma is buying right or left handed equipment to get started as I am pretty sure my left eye domination will take over any aiming required but my left hand is less coordinated at physical efforts, not necessarily weaker, just less stable/coordinated and less hand-eye coordination with the brain center.

I suppose time, practice, practice, practice and patience will be necessary to just do it left handed but looking to see what some of you veteran bow hunters have to say about my situation.

Thanks in advance for any comments, tips and advice. Regardless of how it works out, I'll take the next year for practice as I have a couple rifle hunts planned for 2015, and possibly get that first bowhunt in the 2016 season.

Last edited by bradleyr001; 03/18/15.