Originally Posted by gemelli5

Great idea although I can see tmitch solution getting questioned by DNR.
The gun chamber can still shoot a caliber that is not following the rules even if the ammo is.
The warden may or may not be measuring the cases but the gun will tell a different story....and they may search you for "bad ammo".

This may be true, you have to make certain you go afield with "clean hands" and avoid hunting practices that open you up to scrutiny by a CO. Below is an email correspondence I had with the DNR law enforcement division.

-----Original Message-----

Subject: RE: rifle use

Mr. Mitchell:

Thank you for contacting the DNR.

As long has your firearm/ammo meets the parameters you have highlighted below you would be legal. I would ensure that you do not have any ammo on your person while hunting that your firearm is capable of shooting and does not meet those requirements.

Thank you,
Sgt. Thomas R. Wanless
DNR -Law Enforcement Division
Recreational Safety, Education and Enforcement Section
525 W. Allegan, Lansing, MI 48933
517-284-6026

To: DNR-Wildlife; DNR-LawEnforcement
Subject: rifle use

Sirs,

I hunt in the Limited Firearms Deer Zone and have a question as to the legality of a single shot rifle I own and would like to use during the firearms deer season. It is chambered for the .45-70 Gov't cartridge which, in its factory loaded form, has a case length of 2.1". However I reload my own cartridges and have cut the cases back to 1.79" which can safely be used in my rifle and conform with the regulations as printed in the 2014 Hunting and Trapping digest.
"• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches."
I want to make sure that this is acceptable and I will not run afoul of law enforcement if checked in the field as long as I am using, and only in possession of, the 1.79" case cartridges.

Thank you,
Tom Mitchell

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn