Steelhead, did you ever fish the runoff behind the Publix in Northport? That used to be a good spot. Kinda' steep getting down to the water, but oh boy, if it'd been raining a lot. As some other places, I've caught 'em on the first cast when the sun, moon, and stars all line up. smile
Remember when the local newspapers used to print the solunar table on page 2 of the sports section? It wasn't perfectly gospel, but myself and plenty of old buds have used it to success on more occasions than I can remember.

Love the backwoods areas around Northport. Back in the day, you could drive all over out there on paved roads, but no houses and rarely any other people! We'd park and just walk out into the fields and woods and shoot clays with SA Ruger .44's and shotguns 'til our hands and shoulders got tired, then go fish with ultralight gear and beetle-spins in the tiny little creeks buried back in the woods for panfish.

17Hunter, You can fish for gar around some of the bridges over fresh or brackish water, if you're so inclined. When I used to mess with that around supper time, after a while I started taking the hooks off the lures. Got that tip from an elderly gentleman who lived in the area. The gar will grab onto the lure and only let go when they feel capture is imminent. Kinda streamlines the whole process. smile

Most people, even locals, still don't know how expansive and wild it is back in there. It's the largest "city" in Florida.

As the Sarge used to say, many a pot plane got unloaded out there on those remote paved roads.

Have heard hogs have gotten more prolific, but I would not know. Haven't hunted over there in some time now.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH