I noticed something with a few scopes a few years a back and have never found an answer. I was shooting a few of my most accurate rifles, things were dialed in well and groups were sub 1/2 moa.

The scopes had a pretty short eyebox on high power so I decide to try to move them back a bit in the rings. I loosened the rings and just slide them back a little, less than an inch. Tightened them back up and went back to shooting. My accuracy went to crap. Two in one out random type crap like the retical wasn't staying in the same spot, maybe binding a little. Slid the scopes back to were they were and accuracy came back.

I had a similar experience the other day when I moved a scope back in the rings to try to get the brass to clear my windage turret better on a stiller action with m16 style extractor that throws brass a little high like they do. Accuracy went to crap and returned wen I moved them back.

Im thinking that were the ring is clamping down on the tube body can effect the internals different depending on were its clamping down at. What are some good general rules about where to have the rings on the tube and where not too.

I know someone here once said something about screwing up a Leupold 6x42 by mounting the rings in the wrong place.

Educate me, I feel like I missing something. Sometimes I think a lot of scopes partially go out and go to 2 moa shooters without totally being trashed. I can be frustrating because hi think it's just a bad load or something else and then switch scopes and everything comes back. If a scopes going to go I prefer it to really go, this slightly eradict stuff can drive you nuts.

I've noticed lately another thing with some scopes I've had 10-15 years. It seems like their tension springs have gotten weak over time and they don't always hold consistant center. Another case of half moa to 2 moa and a scope swap fixed it.

Enlighten me please...

Bb