Originally Posted by Sheepaholic
Dirt farmer have you been shooting the 127gr LRX??? What load are you using and what velocities are you getting my rifle is finally done and I was going to load the LRX from 88gr-95gr of 869 not sure yet what coal yet

I have a batch of 127 LRX's loaded and ready to go, would be reporting results had I not gotten rained out this weekend.

Jetbrook has more 26 Nos experience than I have. He and I have PM'ed back and forth. He loaded 127 LRX's with 91 gr. 869, clocked at 3,575 fps. He had some loads over 3,600 fps, but said his accuracy node was at 91 gr. IIRC, he was reporting sub half inch hundred yard groups with that combo.

120 E-Tips max out at 3,450 fps., and Nosler cautions that starting loads should be used with E-Tips. It seems to me (WAG) that Barnes mono's with their driving bands, have less friction/resistance than solid shank E-Tips, probably the same for GMX's. Even though the latter two are made of softer, more malleable gilding metal, it seems solid copper mono's with driving bands can be driven faster.

Mono-metals love to jump, sometimes a good bit. The 26 Nos has some freebore like Wby. For example, factory 120 E-Tips with a 3.34" COAL jump .123" in my gun (std. SAAMI chamber), shooting half MOA.

I loaded my LRX's to crimp in the top ring, giving a COAL of 3.510". That's a bit longer than factory 3.34", but my rifle has a full 3.6" mag box and will tolerate any reasonable COAL. This LRX load will be jumping .10", so we'll see if that's enough. If it needs more, I'll seat them deaper and won't crimp. I know, I know, I don't need to crimp'em, but it does look nice... grin

Jetbrook reported good performance on hogs with Scenar 136L's, but like me, came to the conclusion that mono's may be the ticket in the 26. This LRX has a pretty decent B.C. and nothing in its class seems to match its speed. Heavier, slower bullets with higher B.C.'s may be the ticket for LR targets, but this combo seems better suited for the type hunting I'm doing.

IMO, US-869 and WC-872 are THE powders for the 26, beating out all other slow burners in most applications. 872 is reportedly slower, but I can't tell much difference. 872 is a pulldown 20mm vulcan surplus powder, 869 is current mfg.

That's a synopsis of where I am with this round, although not quite finished working with it.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/22/15.