you can't excuse what he did, but you easily understand why he was outraged

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2001/09/mcveigh200109

it has more context today than it did before 9/11. I'm sure there will be comments about who wrote it or what magazine its in - Set that aside and take the time to read it.....

"There was to be only one story: one man of incredible innate evil wanted to destroy innocent lives for no reason other than a spontaneous joy in evildoing. From the beginning, it was ordained that McVeigh was to have no coherent motive for what he had done other than a Shakespearean motiveless malignity. Iago is now back in town, with a bomb, not a handkerchief. More to the point, he and the prosecution agreed that he had no serious accomplices."
--------------------

Finally, as he was about to be sentenced, the court asked him if he would like to speak. He did. He rose and said, “I wish to use the words of Justice Brandeis dissenting in Olmstead to speak for me. He wrote, ‘Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or ill, it teaches the whole people by its example.’” Then McVeigh was sentenced to death by the government.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings