I have worn glasses since the second grade for nearsightedness. I have worn trifocals for many years. I have rarely taken a shot over 200 yards on any game animal. For two very good (to me) reason. One I can't see a small item that far and I have absolutely no skill at judging range. My first .22 was a Savage 4c and it came with a Weaver 4 power scope. My Dad mounted it using the included 'N' mount using 10/32 stove bolts as he was an Electrician and that was the tap he had. Was unpretty to the point of actually being ugli but it worked like a champ. The only iron sights I ever used was on my Winchester 94 32-40 and I wasn't too good with it. I did shoot a Peep sight for first time when I was drafted in 1956. I did pretty good with it as I once shot a 10 round group from standing to sitting at 200 yards and got a possible (all 10 rounds in the V ring). I won a commendation from the post commander for that. However the military was the last time I actually used Iron sights till I went to Africa. I killed my second Elephant with a 470NE Merkel Double which only had iron sights,but it was at point blank range and they are rather large. My other 2 Elephants as was all my other African game killed with a rifle with a scope. However I consider any rifle to be incomplete esthetically when it has no iron sights. I see absolutely nothing to be gained by limiting oneself by using exclusively irons. I certainly don't think a person who does so is any more competent in any manner.