Have caught a lot of bones, stripers on 6 7 and 8 wt rods. Wind is your big concern. I use a 12 wt for tarpon, 14 for bill fish. I like flies with big eyes when fishing salt.

I have lamson reel and a Loomix IMX mega 9 weight and have been fishing salt regularly for over 20 years with this rod and reel. As mentioned rinse every time. I use an old tooth brush and warm soapy water to hit the reel footing and rod guides where salt can accumulate.

Be ready to pay for a decent reel. I like Ross now for the money and TFO CRxi 8-10 weight great salt water rod for the money

Learn to tie good knots, learn to use a stripping basket if wading, use a two handed retrieve. Rod tucked under arm as the salt water species, some of them, like a very fast retrieve. Learn to strip strike and drive home the hook. Always carry a hook sharpener and keep your hook sharp. Learn to cast from the front of a moving boat into the wind and with a strong cross wind. I hold rod in right hand and fly in left hand with line at feet while in a boat with a guide.

I like clear intermediate lines for bones, tarpon, stripers, jacks, I like to use a running line with a sinking head for deeper water. Takes some getting used to to cast. I like the teeny 500 series line.

I could go on and on. Pm if any specific questions.
Heading down to Baja Mexico this week, for dorado, marlin, jacks, rooster fish on fly rod

Get a very good pair of polarized glasses.

Last edited by ribka; 03/24/15.