Originally Posted by Buckskin
I'm kind of interested in this subject also.

So, I was wondering if the value is there, for a beginner, to buy the Garrett Ace-350 instead of the Ace -250.

There is little difference in cost, about $85.00+ for the Ace-350.

I know most everything has a learning curve, and on some hobbies it's better to start out with a tool that's easy to learn on. Others, easy to learn, and you can grow into.

I doubt that I'd be using whichever purchase I make, a great deal of time, but I would like to buy something that allows for discarding pop tops, bottle caps, ect., and has a easy learning curve.

Respects,
Richard

The extra bells and whistles aren't necessary but the power is. I would recommend a machine that can detect small objects that are deep.

I always use my ears to discriminate good metal from trash. If you are digging aluminum pull tabs then a gold coin could be next. When you find a target, move the head across in different directions. If you get a faint signal that is clear, smooth and doesn't hick-up then that could be something good a few inches down. Some things are bigger and not deep, but I always look for things that other relic hunters missed. Move real slow like you are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Most of my good finds were very faint signals from objects that were just deep enough that my machine would have missed if it had a little less power or I would have missed if I had been moving too fast.