Thanks for the information

Maybe I didn,t word my initial question as well as I could have.

I am not really concerned with fouling but am concerned with the bore of my rifle getting Rust on the lands and grooves .

I have seen rust form on the outside of rifles carried in the conditions that I hunt (high humidity)and while I am concerned to a degree about how the outside of my rifle fares I am MUCH more concerned with the Bore of my rifle.

I am not talking about stopping to oil every couple of shots at the range to target shoot with a high volume of shots but rather to simulate keeping a light coat of oil in the bore (either in clean barrel or over the fouling) to protect the bore when hunting.

If I sight in with a lightly oiled bore then my bullet impact should remain the same when hunting.

If I lived in an area with low humidity then I would have no concern with keeping oil in the bore of my rifles.

I wasnt necasarily referring to the link to show the best way to clean but rather that Holland says to fire over a lightly lubed barrel.

I am not a high volume shooter and will probably only put 3 boxes of ammo(yearly) through any given centerfire deer hunting) rifle I have .
This is why I am not that concerned with fouling but even though I may not shoot that much anymore I still want to PREVENT rust from forming in my barrel when Hunting AND maintain my desired POI that I have when sighting in.

Thanks for everyones input

Last edited by bcraig; 03/27/15.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money