I've told the story before, but I knew one guy who had been a trucker in the 60's, in South Texas, and had an oversize permitted load, which was a large tank IIRC. They gave him his route to assure load clearance, which took him through one small town. After he got through the town he saw flashing lights in his mirror, and pulled over.

Almost instantly a furious cop appeared at his window. When the trucker, who had been driving carefully was puzzled about the stop, the cop demanded he get out and walk back with him.

It was two weeks before Christmas, and all the town's Christmas decorations - which were hanging above the highway - were wrapped around the load. The trucker was horrified, and the cop was still furious. The trucker showed his permits, indicating that he'd carefully followed the route he'd been given.

The cop finally realized it wasn't the trucker's fault, and said, "all right, help me fix this", and the two of them untangled the seasonal decorations, and laid them beside the road. The cop told the trucker to have a safe trip. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."