Spent the last couple days in the high desert in Oregon working. Left today with my client/host/friend taking my daughter and I for a quick tour of a local cave on our way out via 40-50 miles of forest service roads.

When we got to the cave parking area, we saw a family sitting around a camppsite that had been torn down. Only thing I noticed was they were driving a Dodge half-ton diesel pickup. When we came back from a brief cave tour, I was curious about the diesel but didn't want to bother the campers so thought I would just ignore them. My friend hollered a hello to them as we returned to our vehicles.

The mother responded that she had hoped we were the roadside assistance when we first drove up. That caused us to go over and check to see what was up. Turns out, they had locked their keys in their pickup. They had called out to their insurance company to arrange roadside assistance but that was 4-5 hours previous. Not much we could do. The family said they had been weighing breaking out the rear window of the truck as they had pretty much given up on the roadside assistance.

My friend said she would call their insurance company to follow up when she got back home and we headed on, another 30+ miles to the highway. We never met a tow-truck or roadside assistance vehicle out entire way out.

The father said they were hesitant to try and break in themselves as the truck is BRAND NEW and they didn't want to tweak a door or bend metal trying to break in. I am guessing they eventually broke out the rear window to get out of there. they had plenty of food and water and said, if need be, they could reset up camp and overnight there again.

Driving out all I could think of was, glad it wasn't me. Sitting there waiting for help for nearly 5 hours with my family. Guessing my patience would have worn long before and I would've popped the rear window.

Last edited by Tarkio; 03/30/15.

Montana MOFO