PCP's are fine, if you like to carry a pump (or scuba tank) with you......they have a place and are wickedly accurate and easy to shoot.

TeleCaster - the math does not win out with a hunting air rifle for me. The .22 is a much better killer than the .177 - velocity and energy levels via formulas would not suggest so, but 1000+ rock chucks with rifles of both calibers has absolutely shown me that the .22 kills faster and more consistently. The problem with the KE formula is that it does not provide for the additional frontal area (.346 for .22, .278 for .177; ~25% increase). In a slow moving projectile that has proved a substantial difference for me. Pass through energy is wasted energy. At the ranges I typically shoot (25-50yds) the trajectory difference is minimal. The .20 cal may be the perfect compromise but the availability of ammo makes it a little more difficult to deal with and the difference for me is not worth the hassle.

As usual, it depends on what you are doing with your air rifle, what game your trying to take (the op ask about hunting air rifles) and at what range your likely to be shooting.

Last edited by centershot; 03/31/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope