Mine was a DIY hunt in Colorado with two friends. I had the tag, they came along to help. We hiked to a bit above timberline, about 12,700', in the dark to a rock pile that would allow glassing. As the sun rose we spotted a herd of at least 75 elk (we stopped trying to count) moving right along timber line like a row of ants. They were thousands of yards out. We dropped down to just at timberline and I proceeded to head towards them just below timberline working whilst ensuring that I could see my partners. As I made my moves I would glass back and they would provide pre-agreed hand signals. After some time they signaled for me to move up, enough such that I would be able to see the elk as they crossed in front of me. I found a small clump of trees and crawled into it kneeling while I watched and listened. After a bit of time some cows appeared moseying on past, about 75 yards out. Soon after I started hearing a lone bull bugling. I kneeled waiting. Soon a few bulls, a 4x4, spike and a decent 5x5 pass by. The bull continued to bugle. I waited. More cows and bulls (including a few more decent 5x5's) crossed, at least 20 as I waited. Finally a 6x6 showed up and that was going to be the one. He crossed in front of me ~75 yards out, stopped to munch a bite of grass and the 210 gr Partition from my 338-06 was launched. The bull spun, leaped and fell over dead. I waited a bit and saw he was finished. I headed up towards him and heard a grunt. I looked up and above me less than 50 yards away were at least another 30 elk all standing there looking at me and their fallen friend. Just then I heard the bugling elk circling in the timber below me, smart old bastid he was. I looked back at the elk above and one of the 5x5's heads out and the rest follow. It was near ethereal. The elk I shot was in a separate group, the group above were out of my sight due to the land contour. After a fair bit of time my partners arrived stunned to see me with the elk. From where they were they could only see the higher group and having seen nothing drop or run at the shot assumed a clean miss. Still the greatest hunt I have had.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.