I have a custom 243, and am shooting the 3x15x42 SWFA scope. It is a good combination. Have had the scope about 9 months, and it is rock solid. Very repeatable, and good glass. I rarely go more than 10x on the magnification. I shot a coyote Monday with it at 510yds. I hunted with it all fall, and shot a buck with it in very poor light conditions (daylight and rain/snowing). Never had a problem seeing what I needed to see. The SWFA scopes are heavier, but the reliability is worth it to me. In nine months I have only been off one horizontal click when checking zero, and I have the rifle in the truck every day. It is a FFP scope so the cross hairs are pretty fine on 3 or 4 power. I leave mine set on 7x most of the time. The crosshair thickness would be roughly that of a leupold fine crosshair. The cross hair thickness on 15x is about like a regular leupold cross hair, maybe a touch thicker. One thing to remember on these scopes, is that they have all brass internals. Most other scopes have nylon internals and they don't stand up as well over time. Hope this helps. I was where you are when I bought one. Hadn't been able to look through one and wasn't sure. The reticle grows on you, and they really work good for holding for wind. That is where a FFP scope is really advantageous. Hope this info helps. Lets me know if I can help with any other questions.