Originally Posted by jorgeI
Go over to AR, Jeff info will be forthcoming. Elephant in musk, tracking all day, client took a break and Ian and tracker went on ahead, got to within 50-100 yards and he turned and charged. Apparently they tried the usual yelling and arm waving and waited too long to "go to guns". He got off one shot but did not stop the charge. Pretty graphic apparently.

I'd hate to witness that, much less be on the receiving end. Shows that no matter what one's experience level might be, you can't lose your respect for DG and get cavalier about the potential for danger. I think that happens to hunters after a few trips to Africa. The land and animals become familiar, and you can get comfortable with the surroundings. The PH's can misread the animals too, I suppose.

In Tanz, went with 2 PH's to check lion bait hung in a tall tree on the bank of the Ruhaha River, that was mostly dry that time of year. We parked 200 yards away, snuck through the riverine brush near the bank, down the sandy river bed, and up through the brush to the clearing where the bait was hung. No lions sighted, but sign they had fed. This was maybe 11:00 am. One PH was armed, but I wasn't.

As we relaxed checking the bait, a couple of helacious roars came from the bush 30 yards away as 2 young male lions woke from there nap and ran off. I layed a golden egg on the spot! Scared me to death. Had they charged with malicious intent, they could have grabbed all of us.

Just a reminder to keep your guard up, I guess.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo