Originally Posted by prm
I'm not a huge fan of the F-35, but that article has some issues. The fan on the B model does not hurt the performance of the A or C model in any way. So all the overweight, slow, whatever does not apply to the Navy or USAF variants. It's not the fastest plane, but it will be much closer to the enemy than the specs indicate. Carrying weapons internally means it goes as fast loaded as empty. Add rails and missiles to any MiG and will not come anywhere close to what they advertise. And, the MiGs are not world beaters to begin with. The AMRAAMs and 9Xs certainly don't care about the relatively small difference. So it "only" turns as well as an F-16. Ummm, that's pretty damn good! And the 9X tied to the helmet really turns well. The F-35 doesn't have a traditional fixed HUD. It's part of the helmet. Whatever the assumptions were in that simulation are crap. I'd be surprised if 1 F-35 was lost to a Chinese built Sukoi. They're a bunch of GCI cripples and will fold in the fog of war. Let's see how they perform when getting jammed, have no comms, are dealing with deception and their AWACS is flaming debris falling from the sky. That's where US trained fighters shine. And I am certain the F-22 will decimate any enemy and make them think real hard about getting anywhere near US fighters (those few that are left). I may be a Navy guy, but the F-22 f'ing rocks!

The article did seem to casually forget all about the F-22, which will decimate anything in it's path.