Originally Posted by KC

They say that Alaska is the last frontier. In fact the frontier died with the invention of the bush plane and the satellite phone. But the wilderness does still live in the self reliant attitude of the Alaska residents that I have met. I haven't seen any place else where there is such a big percentage of the population that really lives free and independent lives. The land of the free and home of the brave is alive and well in the Alaska that I have seen.

Lots of truth there. But one doesn't have to travel by air nor use every modern contrivance to enjoy life here.

[Linked Image]

Traveling the state under one's own ambition, even with the aid of modern horsepower devices, still provides a great sense of the immensity of the state. There probably aren't many places anymore where you can drop an 11-year-old on a snow machine and let him traverse 200 miles of country without violating some rule or regulation. There is no small irony when the machine you put him on was constructed by aid of the internet: eBay, from pieces and parts from over 10 states. There are still frontiers; they're just changing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.