Hunting in Colorado - I finally decided to go try and chase some of the native Merriams in the woods around where I live.

I went out last Sunday and found a forested area that is surrounded by a big burn (Hayman Fire). I spotted a hen from the backcountry FS road. I pulled about 100 yards above her and then looped underneath where she was to try to set up and do some calling, in the hopes some gobblers were around. It had been snowing for a couple days (14 inches) and was lightly snowing while we were out. I waited an hour and got no answer to my calls. I then continued underneath where I saw her and picked up her solo track. She had gone straight to the bottom. I tracked her about 3/4's of the way down, occasionally calling with no response. I went back up to the top and scoured where I first saw her and her track was the only track in the area.

I plan to go back and work that area again soon when the snow melts some. Is it common for hens to be solo? Obviously, where there is one, there is more.

Just looking for some insight from experienced Merriam hunters. I know they range over large areas. Would the burn scar keep them locked closer to the green timber I was working? For those not familiar with the area, about 3 million acres burned and there are pockets of unburned trees. I'm working one of those pockets. water in the bottom, ponderosas on the hills.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]