2525, thank you so much for your response. I have on occasion in my younger years exhausted about every powder suitable for some of the Ackley's I've had built. Using chronograph and recoil as a means to let me know when enough has been reached or when to back off. I've always wondered if the load/s I've settled on is the best for velocity and pressure...I do not claim to have a crystal ball. For instance, for years I loaded RL19 in my 257Ackley and had good results. I recently though ran out in the powder shortage and thought I'd try something else since I have almost 30 cans of powder on my bench. I decided to try IMR 4831 on the advice of several of the fire members. It is a wonderful load and just as good if not better than the old RL19 load. The fact that the powders are not far apart on the burn chart also makes me feel OK with the change. Mr. Ackley felt like his cartridges could benefit from a 4-7% increase. I've always tried to stay around 3.5-4% to be on the safe side and have never gotten into any real trouble. I got lost in all of your math and percentages but after reading it about 10 times it made more sense each time I read it. It gave some validity to what I've been doing all of these years but left some questions in my mind as well. I'll be starting with Norma 201 in my new 338-08Ackley Improved and then maybe go to TAC or IMR 8208 or maybe even try AA 2495. I really don't know but I'll get it figured out. There's not any starting data that I can find anywhere but what there is for the 338Federal. Do you have any recommendations on powders that may work? I'd gladly appreciate any advice you may give me. I'll be the first to admit I don't have all the answers but will try and get this one going like my others. I want to thank you for your diatribe, it has caused me to do some rethinking on the subject. The real problem still is though... where does a man start...especially with a wildcat as unknown as mine. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 04/23/15.