I recently bought a couple "custom-built" rifles. They had been in someone's rack and had been there quite a while.,
The owner had passed away, and another guy (a son?) had them for some time, but decided to get rid of them. I got them for a price I couldn't leave alone.
As they were built, most guys could walk on by with no problem. I saw things I could use to start...The actions were commercial Mausers from close to the turn of the century...from 1800-1900. One was dated at 1906.
The scopes were antique Weavers and the mounts were at least as old, as I have had to re-D&T both actions. That's OK by me as I want them to be hunting rifles, and the pictures of me holding the rifles with downed game won't show extra holes.
One of them is an 8x57 that, after I cleaned the barrel, I decided to leave on for a while, as I've not shot a hunting 8mm. I bought dies and bullets to see how well it does. If it doesn't do as I think it should, there are quite a few calibers I'm willing to try out. It has a utility-grade walnut stock that was oversize enough (in MY opinion) that I could carve away all the parts that don't look like a hunting-stock and have a good stock underneath.
The second rifle had an equally-oversize stock that's made of birdseye-maple. I's a .257 Roberts (I am a fan) that I think I will rebarrel to .22/250 Imp, which is what I wanted to do from the start. I have a 26" 1:8 .22 barrel blank in the rack already.
Anyway...the problem. When I removed the actions from the stocks, I found that both stocks had split lengthwise in front of the trigger.
My idea is to epoxy the stocks at that point, then glass-bed the actions. At that point I would install bolts like DG rifles have. I just don't know where to get some through-bolts. I need a couple.
Does anyone know where I can get me a couple? Thank you ahead of time, if so.
I know it would be easier or smarter to just go restock them, and I would prolly end up with a couple of glass-stocked guns, that I don't have anyway. I really would like to see what I can do with these pieces of wood, though. Thank you.
Have fun,
Gene