Originally Posted by Freddy
DF, so what you are saying is that if there is no data for a particular cartridge with a certain powder then we should go out and experiment on our own. I guess I can go out and load my 264 with RL 17 and see what happens.

Loonies work up loads every day, sometimes off the grid... grin

But, you gotta use common sense. If some are reporting very good results with RL-33 in the .264 (which they are), getting great accuracy, impressive speed without problems, that may be a place to start, dropping back and working up, of course. And it helps if the sources of that info are from respected shooters.

And no. I wouldn't fill a magnum case with a fast powder and see what it would do... mad

My Mamma didn't raise a fool... wink

Common sense, data from others and careful trial and error, using a chrono. I prefer company data with pressure testing but it's not always available.

Right now, I'm working with WC-872 in the 26 Nos. Although there's no factory data available, I know 872 is pretty close to 869 (so far about the best powder for that round) and loads are fairly interchangeable. I have compared notes with those who have used it. I have cases loaded with progressive charges and will seat bullets at the range. I'll be reading the chrono and watching groups. I hope to be impressed... cool

May even learn something... smile

DF