It rained all day yesterday so I ran some errands and had dinner with a buddy whom I haven't seen in a year or so but is in town for school for the next month. Today started off dreary and windy but by noon I decided it wasn't going to rain so I packed up for the range. I did a little pistol shooting and checked some .223 Wylde loads I loaded up in range brass. I refuse to leave good brass at a match so I practice with good brass since it lasts and shoot range pick up brass in matches. Once I was done training, I pulled the Bushnell HDMR off my auto-loader and strapped it onto the Green Beanie to do my last test (my second only real test) of the .45 OTM bullets before I make the first run of 500.

I tested bullets at 316gn, 328gn, and 334gn:
[Linked Image]

I tested them with 60gn of H4198. That charge was arbitrarily picked but I figured it would work fine. With the 334gn bullet it began to bulge primers. The best of the three weights is the 316gn in my gun with this charge. This gun usually averages around 1.5MOA so the performance is in line with what I expected. The 316gn might have done a little better but I just pulled the optic off of one gun, swapped it over, then dialed on the rough adjustment I knew I needed to get close to zero with my SML and it was a cold, clean bore. I did have the steadiest winds while shooting the 316gn:
[Linked Image]

All bullet were sized using the same setting I use for everything else and could be seated using one firm, or two light hands. I loaded and shot them as fast as I could but it wasn't a Civil War battle drill. Winds were pretty steady, from my 4 o'clock, at 9-12mph with an occasional gust of about 15mph. The 316gn bullets came out at 1.2MOA, the 328gn came out at 1.5MOA, and the 335gn came in 1.7MOA and bulged primers. I don't know if that is because that barrel is a 1-24 and they needed more twist or if the bullet is just more statically stable at 316gn. Regardless, I am going to mash up a bunch of 316gn bullets and push them out for testing.

I know that is a little heavier than some want, and a little lighter than others want. It is just about the right weight in my opinion for 99% of shooting. I will make some lighter ones later using sintered copper and some heavier ones using a heavier and longer jacket. For now this one gets the nod,some guys on another muzzleloader board will test them, then we'll adjust based on feedback.