Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
......and why?
Always been intrigued by this cartridge.
Who has one? What are your experiences?
I know it's a bit much, but seems like it would be an awesome whitetail hammer.

Just ordered one of the limited edition Ruger Hawkeyes from Grice Gun Shop and wondering what to expect.

Probably will be this fall's whitetail rifle.

Yes, I really like the chambering. I read a lot about it when I was a kid and bought a custom on a 98K action from a fellow who had gotten too old to hunt.I liked it well enough that I put some money in it after I shot it. Very accurate, especially with 225 grain bullets. I didn't get the velocity I expected out of the 200 grain bullets and i see no need for the 250 grain bullets for deer or elk.

I like it because of the accuracy, the ability to use cast bullets in it and so forth. The shot cartridges made with Speer capsules don't work well though.

I also like it for the amount of power I get in return for the recoil. It gets 2580-2640 or so depending on the 225 grain bullet. That is within 100-150 fps for the same weight out of my 23" barreled .338.

I haven't killed much with it, some pests and a deer at 240 yards or so. I found the 225 TBBC didn't expand as well as I hoped. The 225 gr Sierra seems the best deer bullet. All in all I agree with Steelhead, there are better whitetail rounds,