Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I've tried about all of the Leupie variables at one time or another. Can't find a favorite that will compare to their 4x and 6x, so I've quit trying. It's a fool's game.

I wish I could disagree with this, but I can't. frown

I've tried to love the 6x..... God knows I've tried.... but alas, it just isn't in me.

dog shooter you are young,and grew up with variables. They are better today than when I grew into the sport and fixed were more reliable, tougher. We got used to fixed powers and thought nothing of heading west with 4X's.

For myself and friends,an elk at 300-400 yards with a fixed 4X was a chip shot. If we had to shoot further (we sometimes did) it was more like something had gone sideways on the hunt. A shot at over 400 yards was not considered routine.A fixed 6X still takes me to 600 yards although I have never shot an animal quite that far.

People want to shoot longer today and if you grew up with access to more scope power,a guy likely will use it.I'm not surprised that many younger shooters find it hard to adjust to fixed power scopes,or find them too limiting.

All the above applies to BG animals from antelope on up. Varmints and anything smaller are different story.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.