Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It doesn't happen with all Chronys, all the time, but if you use them long enough it will. I've owned three of the things.

The two things I grew most weary of were "missed" shots and big differences between readings on sunny and cloudy days. My last Chrony (and the last one I will ever own) got dumped after taking it out one partly sunny afternoon, and seeing the readings from the SAME LOAD vary over 100 fps depending on whether the sun was out or behind a cloud.

In contrast, I tested my first ProChrono on the same sort of day against an Oehler 35P, over several hours, starting at about 1:00 in the afternoon and lasting until almost 5. I shot rifles from .17 to .416 caliber, and neither chronograph missed a shot, or had the speeds with the same load vary more than a few fps regardless of the sun/cloud conditions.

Made the same sort of test with another ProChrono a year later, just to see if would perform the same way, and it did.

The one thing a Prochrono won't do compared to an Oehler 35P is provide as close a reading of each shot, because the light sensors are much closer together on the ProChrono. Thus the Oehler provides a much better idea of standard deviation (consistency) from shot-to-shot.

Thanks for the report John. For chits and giggles I Googled the ProChrono for a price check, wallyworld has em for $99 right now. Not a bad price...