The weather was poor yesterday so instead of Varmint Hunting a couple friends and I headed south for the gunshop circuit in and on the way to Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Lots of trinkets found and bought but hollow-point 22 ammunition was "extinct" - the counterman in the Idaho Falls Sportsmans Warehouse told me (with a straight face!) that his store had gotten in 400,000 rounds of 22 ammunition on Friday the 15th of May (including Remington Golden bullets in the buckets!) and it was all sold by Sunday morning May 17th!
I missed that obviously.
BUT... I did stop by "Ski's Gunstore" out on the west side of Idaho Falls and visited with him.
I mentioned to him that I needed an Anschutz 22 L.R. type magazine for my recently purchased Anschutz in 17 Mach2 caliber.
He dug around in his extensive magazine storage area and came up with TWO brand new in the factory packing 10 shot magazines!
I bought them both and am still on cloud nine over that.
I have been looking for another Anschutz magazine for some time now with no success - until yesterday.
For those in the Idaho Falls area Ski told me that he was closing down completely for 4 months (re-opening in September) starting the week of May 25th.
Ski has been on a very limited open for business schedule for some time now, open just 3 days a week for three hours each of those days.
For the "advanced" rimfire collector Ski had a beautiful and rare unfired N.I.B. Colt Diamondback in 22 L.R. - this pistol was perfect and had a rare finish from Colt on it (I forget what the label said it was) - price $4,000.00!
Ski also had two nice Smith & Wesson Model 34's (J frame revolvers in 22 L.R. caliber) that were in the $650.00 range IIRC.
My crew and I stopped in at 4 gunshops in our travels and the new Cabellas and the Sportsmans Warehouse and found NO quality 22 hollow-point ammo anywhere - nor any 17 Mach2 ammo.
17 HMR ammo was plentiful though?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy