To respond to your direct inquiry, You said between 8x30 and 10x40 and from $200- $300.

If sold on roofs I would think something like an 8x36 Vanguard Spirit ED might fit the bill nicely. I found a GREAT deal on them for $209. That is a good bit cheaper than elsewhere. Sounds like a good fir for what you describe.

Aside, let me chime in as most others have for something just outside your intended post.
My first thought was that this seems to be another situation where a good 7x35 might really fit the bill if given the chance. Wish more were made at this size as I find them so perfectly utilitarian. Nikon makes Action Extreme porros that are dang good for the price. Under $150 some places I have tried roofs and just can't get past the better view, brighter image and cheaper price of porro's even if I may have to sacrifice a little bit of shape or weight or brand bragging rights. I would almost challenge you to buy the Nikon 7x35 for a truck pair of bino's. I am betting you would start comparing them....then taking them more and more.

Let us know what you end up deciding and how, honestly, happy you are with them.

Tejano - I wrote my post before reading your 7x35 comments. Seems like we agree. I thought of the Zen Rays as well but could not find them under $300.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/23/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius