Originally Posted by RexM
Hello. My wife just bought me an older Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243 after finding out it was one of my dream rifles from youth. I have not had a centerfire rifle in nearly 30 years, so we would like to make it something special.

What is your favorite varmint stock? We will use it on the farm in TN for white-tail, crows, and ground hogs. I am interested in the McMillan stock modeled after the Sako 85 Varmint. What do you think about it?

or, what is your personal favorite stock for a like rifle?

Thanks!

I have had numerous model 700 Varminter Specials (the model with the wood BDL hunter style stock) to me this was a great stock. If that is what the rifle has on it then I would leave it as is with the possible exception of bedding it, nothing could make it more special than leaving it original. If you are determined to put a McMillan on it then pick the stock closest to the original factory stock. You will find few stocks that handle better fit better than the original design. (just my opinion of course)

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.