Originally Posted by CrankEmUp
Originally Posted by TXRam
Insurance will not pay, paid for it myself. Don't think there is a min vision loss to be a candidate, more based on if they can correct your vision, thickness of your cornea, etc. Mine went from about 20/100 to 20/15 (was actually 20/10 for a few weeks afterwards)! My vision is now probably 20/20 or slightly better, and that's 8yrs after having it done.

I would do it again and pay double if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now! Have to admit it was pretty weird when they first cut the flap and flipped it over - looked like a kaleidoscope! Couldn't see anything except a spectrum of colors... Kinda weird! But 2-3hrs and a nap later and I could see perfectly!

What was the cost?

I did the same as TXRam and paid out of pocket. Cost was about $4,700. Having said that now, I believe cost has come down greatly. If you consider it, I would go with a doctor that has considerable experience. I think the youngest doctors tend to offer the best prices. Also, be aware that the kind of equipment used matters. Make sure it has tracking. That accounts for any averse eye movement when the laser is shaping your lens. My flap was cut using a laser, not a blade. The difference is a blade cuts like you were taking a slice from the edge of an orange, and will have a flat mating surface to close the flap. With the laser, the depth of cut can be precisely controlled and cuts perpendicular to the eye. What that means, is the flap when closed will fit precisely back in the hole like a manhole cover or puzzle piece, if you will. The blade cut flap can possibly squish around and the scar is wider. It's been since about 2006 since I had my procedure done. Bottom line, thoroughly educate yourself on the methods, equipment and the physician you might consider using before doing it. My 2 cents.