I originally had posted part of this in the Elk forum under first rifles but decided it needed its own thread.

My first rifle was a Ruger 77 mkII boat paddle in 270. It was a great rifle and served me well until i "knew" i needed bigger and better. Fast forward about 7 years and i bought a replacement boat paddle in 7mm-08. It absolutely loves the 120 TTSX and 140 Accubonds but i have never been drawn to it and thus never hunted it.

2 years ago my hunting buddy put his 10yo through Hunters Ed. He is a sheetrocker by trade and was laid off so money was tough. He asked if i had a cheap hunting rifle for his son to buy. I told him about the 7mm-08, that it wasnt for sale but his son could use it as long as he wanted/needed.

Opening day of 2012 found us all sitting a long ridge watching the sun come up. Lots of deer were spotted but nothing came within our self imposed 250yd range for him. About 10 A.M. we headed down the hill for the truck and lunch. On our way down we kicked out a few small bucks that were under the 3 point minimum and several mulie does (no bueno without a permit). About 1/2 mile from the truck my buddies kid stops and says "deer". About 125yds away he found a fat whitetail doe bedded under a tree. In our area due to over crowding whitetail does are fair game for youths and seniors on their buck tag.

Knowing it was his first hunt and how excited he was his dad gave him the green light. Damn if either of us were going to tell a kid what to do with their tag.

Due to the steep angle of the hill he couldn't see her while sitting down to shoot and there was nothing to use as a rest. A quick plan was formed to have his dad put him on his lap for height. I leveled my spotting scope in front of him with his jacket for padding as a rest. The doe finally had enough of us and stood broadside.

She was probably the dumbest doe ever as she gave him a solid 2-3 minuted to calm his nerves and place a single 120 ttsx behind her shoulder. At the shot she dropped and a chorus of cheers erupted from the valley floor.

Apparently our whole hunting group had gotten to the trucks and a few passerbys had stopped to watch the whole 3 ring circus and saw the deer drop.

We got to his doe and you would have thought he shot the next world record buck he was so happy. I remeber glancing at his dad and thinking "is that a tear?", then realizedy eyes were a bit watery as well. Must have been the wind.....

He was adamant that he would gut it on his own so with considerable coaching from his father and myself that was accomplished. When we got packed up to go my buddy put his drag strap on the deer and started walking. That was promptly halted by our succesful hunter, seems he figured he hadnt earned the deer if he didnt drag it himself. He told us to go to the truck and he would meet us.

We were on a wide open knob with a slight grade and tall grass so we could keep tabs on him and off we went to let him have at it, just him, his deer and "his" rifle. He probably fell no less then 20 times on his way down but kept getting back up. Several in our group offered help but he wasnt having it, he said he was a hunter and had to do it.

He got about 100 yds away from us and fell again and just rolled over laying on his deer. His grandpa was with us at the trucks, he can no longer hunt due to his health, hell he can barely walk and goes to fish and just hang out. Without saying a word grandpa grabbed a cold Coke out of the cooler, grabbed some M&M's out of his truck and asked for my orange vest which i gave him.

He told us all to stay at the trucks as he had private buisness with his grandson. It probably took him a good 5 minutes to reach the boy and the deer. Grandpa and grandson took their time with their snack and started dragging together. They didn't make it far and my buddy balling his eyes out went to finish dragging. All 3 of them had a hold of that strap moving dead slow but determined.

The wind must have kicked up again as now there was about 15 people with teary eyes and 3 cameras blazing away. What i wouldnt give for one of the pictures of grandpa, dad and grandson dragging that old doe but i sent them all to my buddy.

Once the doe was loaded in my truck my buddies son gave me the biggest hug and thanked "Uncle" Matt as he calls me for loaning him a rifle. My dad made a comment about that rifle needs a new home to which i agreed. I looked over at my buddy and quietly told him that 7mm-08 was now his sons as far as i was concerned. He told me wait until he turns 12 atleast.

He has taken 2 deer, 1 elk, and 5 coyotes with it since. He turns 12 in 3 weeks and true to my word that rifle and 350 rds of 120 ttsx will be going to him for his birthday. The Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 on top will cost him a few lawn mowings over the summer. I may be a softy but im not dumb.... lol

Its just a rifle to me, every ding or scratch in it was put there by him hunting hard so to him its a whole nother thing. Getting to watch him hunt it and be succesful the last 2 years has been worth every penny....

[Linked Image]
Austin and his first deer