Originally Posted by nighthawk
I take a different approach. For hunting rifles I use a thin coat of high pressure service, moly loaded synthetic grease like Brownell's Action Lube II. A THIN layer, you can't tell there's any there except you'll see a little black (from the moly) if you wipe it with a tissue. You need only enough to fill in the microscopic roughness so steel isn't contacting steel directly. The synthetic doesn't attract dust and doesn't change viscosity in reasonably cold temperatures. (Arctic blasts, I'd rather ice fish.) A big benefit even on something like a Timney is the pull is more consistent when lubricated.

Not such an issue with modern tool steel triggers and some designs, there can be a lot of force generated in PSI at the sear engagement for a simple trigger. Divide the mainspring force the sear is holding by the TINY engagement area. A high pressure lube saves wear and possibly galling with less than the best steel.

Of more benefit particularly on older bolt action rifles is a little dab of the stuff on the cocking piece. The force on the helical cut on the bolt body can be enough to cause galling, depending on the particular steel and heat treating. Stainless steel is famous for wanting to gall in any high pressure sliding application.

+1

The pressure on both spots is high and a light coat of grease makes things much smoother and last longer. I also grease the back of the locking lugs.

Last edited by natman; 05/25/15.