So got to play with a Ruger Match Champion last night after work...the one with the fixed sights...SWEET revolver.

On the negative side, the concept is only about 40-50 years overdue (semi auto style drift in fixed sights on a "service" revolver). When I was a dumb teenager who didn't know squat about guns, that was one of my first observations when looking at a 4" S&W model 13; "why are the sights to small on a combat revolver? Why don't they do sights like a semi-auto pistol?". I can recall saying exactly that when I went to get my very first handgun at age 16 (I walked out with a 6" S&W model 19)...or rather my mom did.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, back to the Ruger in question...One seriously well thought out revolver. If you wanted to do a revolver for self defense and size wasn't too much of a concern, then this should be at the top of most people's list.

The fit of the Novak sight is superb and quite predictably the sight picture is very nice. There isn't enough light on either side of the front sight, but that's typical on all handguns. The DA pull was rather smooth if a little stiff. SA was probably about 4lbs and crisp.

I generally don't care for slab sided revolver barrels, but I like this one. They didn't over-do it when they did the slab sides, and all in all, I think the barrel profile is very pleasing to the eye. The elevated, solid rib is done in very good taste.

Overall execution of the entire revolver was just shy of flawless. The grips look and feel fantastic, and IMO they're very functional. Honestly, add in a first rate action job, and open up the rear sight and the revolver is PERFECTION.

My only real complaint was the very large model stamping on the side of the barrel, that's in poor taste. But I can't really blame Ruger, that style of stamping seems to be the trend of the entire industry these days. Still, it's a minor annoyance that could easily be removed.

All in all, I think Ruger has a real winner on their hands. And because I like it, that's probably the death knell for this revolver. Seems like anytime a maker makes a "different" gun that I like, they don't sell well and it's discontinued Think, how long did the S&W model 20 last? (lightweight barrel 7 shot L frame).

Anyhow, someone please go out there and buy one so I can feel like the gun has a chance of becoming a regular catalog item.