Originally Posted by KneezeInTheBreeze
... Roller locked guns are junk. That being said...
This is just an ignorant statement.

Roller locking is a strange way to operate a gun for sure. It was the result of Hitler meddling in things of which he had no knowledge. At one point he forbade the further research into gas action auto loading weapons. So the Germans had to figure out another way. And being Germans they not only found a way, but as it turned out, it worked very well. The G3 is one of the most successful military rifles of all time. The MG42 is one of the most successful LMG’s of all time. Very few weapons designers have chosen to copy the delayed roller system and for good reason; it’s goofy. But to say roller locking guns are junk is just ridiculous. I’ve never seen a Sig roller locking rifle that ANYONE would call junk. And I don’t know many who refer to H&K’s wares as junk. I’m not crazy about roller locking myself, but I recognize that it not only works, but it works well. This notion that they shoot themselves to pieces, again, no idea where that’s coming from. The service record of the G3 and the MG42/MG3 are quite impressive. They have served with distinction all over the world. And in countless wars across the globe, they have somehow managed to not “shoot themselves to pieces”.

The G3 series rifles is one of my least favorite of the 7.62 battle rifles, but that’s just MY preference. The FACT is, the G3 (roller locking and all) is a damn good rifle.