I've seen the 300 gr partition used exactly once on an Alaskan brown bear,from a Federal factory load that chronographed about 2450 fps. I guess Federal keeps things conservative, figuring they don't want any pressure issues where 375's are used a lot. Like any cartridge, rifles and velocities will vary.

Anyway the sluggish velocities did not matter to the bear,which was down and out with two deliveries. Both bullets exited.Nice thing about the 375 bore is, the bullets are already big going in,and will set up larger frontal area than many smaller calibers.

Point being you don't have to firewall a 375 to make it work good.

My favorite load (here...never been to Africa) is a 250 BBC and 77 gr RL15 in WW brass and Fed 215 primer,for about 2900 fps; the 250 Sierra for practice(they group together). I have had this bullet smash both shoulders of an Alaskan BB and exit. Big hole. Figured I really did not need anything more over here and stuck to it.This load made me sell all my other medium bore rifles.

The 375 may not be what we think of as a long cartridge but that load matches a 150-270 or 165 30/06 for trajectory to 400 yards, about as far as I have run it. I would not want to get in its way at that distance.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.