Well, I went loop to loop between the line and the leader, but I made my own weld with superglue and really small heat shrink tubing. I know...sacrilege! Fly fishing is a hobby, it's not a religion to me. I don't suppose the fish will be too offended by the rig.

Now for the important part, the Orvis reel arrived yesterday, I backed it, strung it, leadered it, made up a practice fly and went out into the back yard and started casting.

The difference between a $40 WalMart fly rod, and one that is hand made is phenomenal. Before, I had to work to get that line to play to and the fly to fall to the end of the leader at the end of the cast. I could do it, but it took more effort than I felt it should. I thought it was my form - and may still be, but last night the line was doing things that I'd only seen on "A River Ran Through It." It seemed to "want" to stay suspended just above the water until the fly had made it to my target and then everything just settled down and lay there in a relatively straight line (pardon the pun.) Before, I had trouble with the line taking up all the slack I had near the reel. Last night, all the slack came out as the line and fly finished its whip action.

The #5 weight rod felt like an extension of my arm, rather than a tool to be used. It was quite fun.

Sunday, will be the true test. I'll either do some shore casting or take it out in my Kayak for some blue gill and bass. The rod builder has a little private lake he's inviting me to. I'll get some much needed lessons.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 06/03/15.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain