Print Thread
Hop To
#10002540 06/10/15
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
My nephew caught a nice trout (I wasn't with him) and it was released. Now I'm thinking of getting him a "mount" to commemorate the catch. It was, give or take, 20" and there are a couple pics. I was thinking of maybe having something of that size in one of the replicas they have now...or even a nice carving...with a picture attached.

Any recommendations for something of this nature at a decent price that actually looks nice? I'm sure there's a gazillion places on the web but it'd be nice to not have to go in blind.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
GB1

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have a both a carving and a fiberglass reproduction. The carving is of a 5 pound 24 inch brookie and was done in 1993. I paid $180 and it is very nice.

I had a 38 inch lake trout (fiberglass) done last year and paid $13 per inch. The same guy that carved my brookie quoted me $1500 for a carving of the lake trout. The taxidermist that did the laker actually has a camp on the lake I caught the fish and knows intimately what they look like.

I can give you the names of the people that did mine but they are both in Maine. The person that did my lake trout now has a long wait time. I guess my point is, look around and see who you like. Now that the fish is released you aren't in any hurry.

Last edited by JDK; 06/10/15.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JDK
I have a both a carving and a fiberglass reproduction. The carving is of a 5 pound 24 inch brookie and was done in 1993. I paid $180 and it is very nice.

I had a 38 inch lake trout (fiberglass) done last year and paid $13 per inch. The same guy that carved my brookie quoted me $1500 for a carving of the lake trout. The taxidermist that did the laker actually has a camp on the lake I caught the fish and knows intimately what they look like.

I can give you the names of the people that did mine but they are both in Maine. The person that did my lake trout now has a long wait time. I guess my point is, look around and see who you like. Now that the fish is released you aren't in any hurry.

Thanks JDK.

True there's no real time issue though I don't want it to drag on too long since that time would only be added to how long it took to actually receive the mount. OTOH there's likely some places that have "finished" mounts for general sale as opposed to specific orders.

Actually a good idea to try to check locally. Maybe see when the next "fish expo" kind of thing pops up. Maybe even see if I can glean anything out of a local Trout Unlimited chapter or something.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
You may also want to contact your fish and game department. When I was looking for the brookie, our IF&W was having a number of presentation mounts done. They gave me a list of a few names.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.